Here are two areas that I’d like for you to reflect on: Classroom Environment and Students Expectations.
If we want our students to achieve, do we create an environment that is conducive to do so? Beyond what your classroom looks like, beyond classroom rules, procedures and routines…take a few seconds to think about your classroom environment.
What kind of environment have you and your students created? Here are few questions to help with reflecting:
- Do all my students feel welcome?
- Do all my students know how I feel about them?
- How do other students react when a student gets an answer wrong?
- Are students in my classroom comfortable with sharing ideas?
- Do my students encourage each other?
Your goal as a a teacher should be to, create a classroom environment where:
- students feel safe to take academic risks and are encouraged, not only by the teacher but also by each other
- mistakes are seen as opportunities to continue growing and not as failure
- learning is the goal of the students as much as the teacher’s goal
- learning is fun and students enjoy coming to school
- the kids go home more tired than the teacher!
- the students are inspired to be awesome!
- the one in the back of the room that wants you to ignore him and never wants to be called on.
- the one that can’t sit still in his chair.
- the one that is so low, she reads 2 years below grade level.
- the one that comes to school with yesterday’s outfit on.
- the one that knows how to push your buttons.
- the one that other teachers call “the trouble-maker”.
- the one who’s parents don’t have any formal education.
- the one that you might not of spoken to after a whole day of instruction.
- think their teacher believes in them will achieve!
- have positive affirmations on a daily basis will achieve!
- are given support will achieve!
- are encouraged and motivated to try will achieve!
Remember.. teacher expectations make a difference!
Leave me note below, tell me about what you do to encourage and motivate your students! I’d love to hear from you all!